A military medical school student studies a model skull. A military medical school student studies a model skull.

Medical Students

For those attending medical school through the Military, research is a major aspect of training. Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) in particular has expertise in a range of areas, including post-traumatic stress disorder and infectious diseases. If you become a medical student at USUHS, you'll be learning from faculty who are performing cutting-edge research at the same time, and all USUHS students are required to participate in a three-month-long capstone project that concludes with the public presentation or publication of an academic paper.

Students in the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) may also have the chance to participate in military medical research as part of their required military medical rotations. For example, both HPSP and USUHS students may have rotations at the Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Silver Spring, Md., or they might work at the Naval Submarine Medical Research Laboratory in Groton, Conn. And that's just a glimpse of what is on offer to medical students.

Medical Residents

As for residents, all of the Military's residency programs are approved by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), and residents have the opportunity to participate in and perhaps lead research protocols. During their residency, they are also encouraged to publish, and they may even have an opportunity to teach as an assistant professor.

Licensed Physicians

Whether you are active duty, Reserve or Guard, you will be able to stay on top of your field as a licensed physician. The Military offers many continuing education opportunities, including funding for clinical specialization courses and travel allowances for professional society conferences.

Depending on the situation, you may also be able to apply for research-specific positions earlier than your civilian counterparts. Finally, some licensed physicians may be able to teach as assistant or associate professors.